- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
- 8 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 cups half and half
- 1 ½ teaspoons fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 10 ounces spicy Italian sausage, cooked and crumbled
- 10 ounces California Dried Figs, stems removed and roughly chopped
- 4 ounces Manchego cheese, crumbled
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Use the butter to grease a 9-by-13-inch baking dish.
Whisk together the eggs, half and half, salt, pepper, thyme, oregano, and sage in a large bowl until smooth. Stir in the Parmesan cheese.
Fold in the cooked sausage and figs (see Cook’s Note). Transfer to the prepared baking dish and sprinkle with the Manchego cheese.
Cover with foil and bake for 25 minutes. When done, the strata should be set and only slightly jiggle when the pan is moved from side to side. If the center appears liquid, re-cover with the foil and bake for an additional 5 minutes.
Once set, remove the foil and bake an another 5 to 7 minutes, until golden brown. Let stand 5 minutes and then cut into 8 portions to serve.
If you’d like figs visible on the top of the strata after it is baked, reserve a few pieces and carefully place them on top about halfway through the cooking time.