- 1 1/4 pounds lean beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 5 cups beef broth
- 1 cup dry brown lentils
- 1 cup chopped turnip
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup chopped California Dried Figs
Season the beef with ½ teaspoon of the salt and the pepper. Melt the butter in large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the beef. Cook and turn the pieces to brown on all sides, about 5 minutes. Add 2 cups of the beef broth. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook for about 45 minutes, until beef is tender. Remove beef with a slotted spoon and set aside.
Add lentils to liquid remaining in pot along with 1 more cup of the beef broth. Heat to a boil, then simmer over low heat for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, sprinkle turnip pieces with the basil, cinnamon, nutmeg, and remaining ¼ teaspoon of salt. Add the turnip and 1 more cup of broth to the pot with the lentils and simmer for 1 minute.
Next, stir in the figs, the beef, and the remaining 1 cup of broth. Simmer for 10 minutes to blend flavors. Serve warm.