- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 cups California Dried Figs, stems removed and quartered
- 1 bottle (750 milliliter) port wine
- ½ cup sliced kalamata olives
- Zest and juice of a navel orange
- Fine sea salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano leaves
Heat oil in a heavy saucepan over medium heat. Sauté onion for 5 minutes.
Add brown sugar and balsamic vinegar. Cook over low heat, stirring frequently for 20 to 30 minutes until onions are very soft, caramelized and jam-like.
Stir in figs and wine; heat to boil and simmer, stirring frequently with wooden spoon, until reduced by half and liquid is syrupy, about 10 minutes.
Stir in olives and orange juice. Simmer 5 minutes more. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer to a storage container and let cool. Stir in orange zest and oregano. Cover and store in refrigerator.