- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced or chopped garlic
- Black pepper to taste (optional)
- Flatbread choices: 1 large whole grain Naan bread (about 4 ounces) or 2 whole grain tortillas or pita pockets or multigrain sandwich thins (4 halves), or similar
- About 3 ounces (3/4 cup shredded) cheese of choice (Italian blend, grated gruyere, thinly sliced fresh mozzarella or brie, crumbled goat, gorgonzola or blue cheese)
- About 3 California Fresh or Dried Figs, trim off tough tip then slice each widthwise and toss bottom slices
- 2-3 teaspoons Glaze of Balsamic Vinegar Glaze of Modena
- 1 cup loosely packed shredded or whole arugula leaves
Calories 190, Total Fat 9 g, Saturated Fat 4 g, Polyunsaturated Fat 1.5 g, Monounsaturated Fat 3 g, Cholesterol 15 mg, Sodium 280 mg, Potassium 121 mg, Total Carbohydrates 19.5 g, Dietary Fiber 3 g, Sugars 4.5 g, Protein 9 g
In small dish, blend minced garlic with olive oil and let sit for about 10 minutes while you gather your other ingredients.
Start preheating large nonstick skillet over medium heat (about 325-degrees if using an electric skillet). Spread olive oil mixture evenly on top of the flatbread(s) and sprinkle with black pepper to taste if desired. Sprinkle tops evenly with shredded or sliced cheese then place fig slices evenly over the top.
Place flatbreads on skillet cheese side up and cook, watching carefully, until underside is nicely brown and crispy and the cheese is mostly melted. Remove from the skillet and place on a cutting board.
Drizzle balsamic glaze over the top then garnish evenly with arugula. Cut flatbread into pieces (slices or rectangular pieces) and serve!