- 1/4 cup quartered California Dried Figs, trimmed of the tip and firmly pressed in measure
- 1/4 cup roasted and salted cashews (unsalted can be substitute if desired)
- 1 tablespoon very hot water
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon maple extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 whole grain slices of bread (3-4 larger sized bread slices)
Calories 146, Total Fat 4 g, Saturated Fat .8 g, Polyunsaturated Fat 1.2 g, Monounsaturated Fat 1.8 g, Cholesterol .3 mg, Sodium 126 mg, Potassium 75 mg, Total Carbohydrates 23 g, Dietary Fiber 4 g, Sugars 6 g, Protein 1.2 g
Add all ingredients to a mini food processor and pulse until a pureed mixture has formed. Use a mini spatula to scrape the lid and sides if needed.
Toast the slices of your whole grain bread of choice. Spread about 1 tablespoon of the fig newton spread on each slice (larger slices might require 1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons of spread).