- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ large yellow onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup California Dried Figs, chopped or thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 16 ounces canned pureed or crushed tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet or saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and onion and saute until translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in fig pieces and briefly saute, about 1 minute.
- Add the basil, salt, fennel seeds, black pepper, tomatoes, and bay leaf and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until sauce is slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Serve warm over your favorite pasta, such as Pasta and California Fig Meatballs.