- 1 cup quartered California Dried Figs, stems removed
- 1 cup walnut halves or pieces
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup (honey can be substituted)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (add 1/2 teaspoon more if desired)
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange zest (zest from about 2 oranges)
- Optional: unsweetened shredded coconut (use shredded or lightly processed in a food processor), unsweetened cocoa powder
(2 truffles per serving) Calories 99, Total Fat 6 g, Omega-3s .9 g, Saturated Fat .6 g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Sodium 2 mg, Potassium 131 mg, Total Carbohydrates 10 g, Dietary Fiber 2 g, Sugars 7 g, Protein 2 g
Get your small food processor ready to use (a large food processor works well if you double the recipe ingredients). Add in the figs, walnuts, maple syrup, cinnamon, ginger, vanilla extract and orange zest. Pulse until a sticky, uniform mixture has formed (about 8 seconds).
Use a mini cookie scoop or a tablespoon to measure about 1 level tablespoon of the mixture. With clean hands roll the mixture into a truffle-sized ball and place in mini cupcake liners. If you want to roll some of your truffles in shredded or ground coconut or unsweetened cocoa powder, add cocoa powder or coconut to a small shallow dish and roll the truffles in this before placing in the cupcake liners.
Store in a covered container in the refrigerator until ready to serve! Enjoy within a few days for best quality.