- 8 ounces dried penne pasta
- 4 ounces California Dried Figs, stems removed, chopped, about 8 figs
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- Pinch ground black pepper
- 8 ounces cooked chicken, shredded
- 4 ounces Jack cheese, grated
- ½ cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup chopped Italian parsley
- ¼ teaspoon fennel seeds, minced
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Grated parmesan cheese for garnish
Cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
Combine the chopped figs, vinegar, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Toss and marinate for 5 to 10 minutes or until the vinegar is absorbed by the figs. Drain off any excess vinegar.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
In a large bowl, combine the cooked pasta with the marinated figs. Add the chicken, Jack cheese, walnuts, parsley, and fennel seeds. Stir well. Stir in the chicken stock and cream.
Transfer the contents of the bowl to a 9-x-13-inch baking dish. Bake for 30 minutes or until hot and just starting to bubble.
Let stand for 10 minutes before serving with grated parmesan on the side.