- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 cup California Dried Golden or Mission Figs, stems removed and halved
- 1/4 cup capers
- 1 whole lemon, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 1/2 pounds bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- 1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 large bulb fennel, cored and cut into ¼-inch-thick wedges
- 1/2 cup white wine
- Cooked farro, quinoa, brown rice or other favorite grain for serving
NUTRITION FACTS (per serving)
Calories 450 (% from Fat); Total Fat 28g; Saturated Fat 7g; Cholesterol 180mg; Sodium 770mg; Carbohydrate 21g; Sugar 13g; Dietary Fiber 4g; Protein 31g
Vitamin A 10% Vitamin C 15% Calcium 8% Iron 15%
- Make the chicken marinade by putting 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, vinegar, figs, capers, lemon, garlic, 1 teaspoon of the salt, and the pepper into a large resealable plastic bag. Seal it and shake it well. Add the chicken, seal again, and store in the refrigerator for several hours, ideally overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Remove the chicken from the refrigerator.
- Set a large, deep ovenproof skillet or Dutch oven (at least 12-inch diameter) over medium-high heat. Add the remaining 2 teaspoons of olive oil and the onion. Saute until the onion begins to soften, 5 minutes.
- Add the fennel and remaining ¼ teaspoon salt and saute until it begins to soften, another 5 minutes. Nestle the chicken pieces, skin-side-up, among the onions and fennel. Pour the contents of the bag over the chicken along with the wine.
- Bake until the chicken is cooked through and tender, basting halfway through, about 50 minutes total. Taste and add more salt and/or pepper as desired. Serve over brown rice, farro, quinoa, or another favorite whole grain.
To further brown the chicken, set under the broiler for 1 to 2 minutes just before removing from oven, if desired.