- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 cup stemmed and halved California Dried Golden or Mission Figs
- 1/4 cup capers
- 1 whole lemon, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 1/2 pounds bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- 1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 large bulb fennel, cored and cut into ¼-inch-thick wedges
- 1/2 cup white wine
- Cooked farro, quinoa, brown rice or other favorite grain for serving
NUTRITION FACTS (per serving)
Calories 450 (% from Fat); Total Fat 28g; Saturated Fat 7g; Cholesterol 180mg; Sodium 770mg; Carbohydrate 21g; Sugar 13g; Dietary Fiber 4g; Protein 31g
Vitamin A 10% Vitamin C 15% Calcium 8% Iron 15%
Make the chicken marinade by putting 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, vinegar, figs, capers, lemon, garlic, 1 teaspoons salt, and pepper into a large resealable plastic bag. Seal it and shake it well. Add the chicken, seal again, and store in the refrigerator for several hours, ideally overnight.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Remove the chicken from the refrigerator.
Set a large, deep ovenproof skillet or Dutch oven (at least 12-inch diameter) over medium-high heat. Add the remaining 2 teaspoons of olive oil and the onion. Saute until the onion begins to soften, 5 minutes.
Add the fennel and remaining ¼ teaspoon salt and saute until it begins to soften, another 5 minutes. Nestle the chicken pieces, skin-side-up, among the onions and fennel. Pour the contents of the bag over the chicken along with the wine.
Bake until the chicken is cooked through and tender, basting halfway through, about 50 minutes total. Taste and add more salt and/or pepper as desired. Serve over brown rice, farro, quinoa, or another favorite whole grain.
Makes 4 to 5 servings.
Cook’s Note: To further brown the chicken, set under the broiler for 1 to 2 minutes just before removing from oven, if desired.