- 8 ounces California Fresh Figs, halved
- 8 ounces cooked red beets, peeled and cut in half
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped herbs such as parsley, oregano, or thyme
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot or red onion
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons walnut oil
- 1 cup arugula leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped toasted walnuts
- 4 ounces goat cheese
- 4 ounces sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped herbs, such as parsley, oregano, or thyme
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
Combine figs and beets in a medium bowl. Toss with olive oil, salt, and black pepper and set aside for at least 30 minutes.
While the figs rest, make the dressing. Place goat cheese, sour cream, mustard, vinegar, and herbs in a mixing bowl. Mix on medium speed until ingredients are combined, 2 to 3 minutes. Slowly drizzle in oil and continue to mix on medium speed until emulsified. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Store in refrigerator.
Heat the grill to high heat (about 400 degrees F) and brush the grates with cooking oil. Grill figs and beets on all sides until they begin to show signs of becoming tender with grill marks, about 5 minutes in total. Return them to the bowl they were resting in and chill.
Once chilled, add the chopped herbs, shallot, balsamic vinegar, and walnut oil to figs and beets. Toss until combined. Divide and mound in the center of 4 salad plates. Add goat cheese dressing around figs and beets. Add arugula leaves to the remaining balsamic-walnut oil vinaigrette in the bowl and toss until coated. Divide and add to the plates. Drizzle any remaining vinaigrette the salads and sprinkle with walnuts.