- 1½ cups bran flake cereal
- ½ cup unsweetened apple juice
- 1 egg or 3 tablespoons egg substitute
- ½ cup nonfat milk
- 6 ounces apple juice concentrate, thawed
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large banana, mashed
- ¾ cup California Dried Figs, stems removed and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons honey or ¼ cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1½ cups oat flour, whole wheat or unbleached all-purpose flour
- ½ cup rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1½ teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- California Dried Fig slivers or wedges for garnish
Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners.
Combine cereal in large bowl with apple juice. Stir to moisten flakes evenly. Add egg, milk, apple juice concentrate, oil, banana, figs, and honey. Mix well.
In a small bowl, combine flour, rolled oats, cinnamon, baking soda, and baking powder. Add to cereal mixture and stir well.
Divide evenly and spoon batter into paper-lined muffin cups. Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Garnish with wedges of dried figs.