Homemade Graham Crackers
- 175 grams whole-wheat pastry flour (1 1/3 cups)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 57 grams turbinado sugar (1/4 cup)
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons unrefined coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract (or 1 1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract plus 1/4 teaspoon almond extract)
- 12 large marshmallows
- 12 (0.4-ounce) squares or rectangles dark or milk chocolate (4.8 ounces total)
- 6 California Fresh Figs, stems trimmed, halved lengthwise
Make the graham crackers
Preheat the oven to 375° F. Line a large baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
In a large mixer bowl, using an electric mixer with dough beaters, blend together the sugar, maple syrup, and coconut oil. Add the applesauce and vanilla and beat until combined. Add the flour mixture and beat until a dough forms.
On the lined baking sheet, press the dough evenly by hand into a 7 1/2- by 12-inch rectangle. Gently cut the dough into 24 graham crackers (6 slices lengthwise x 4 slices widthwise) using a pizza wheel (cutter). Prick each graham cracker with fork tines three times.
Bake until lightly browned, about 15 minutes. Immediately re-cut the graham crackers gently with the pizza wheel. Transfer the baking sheet to a rack to cool for 10 minutes, then transfer the graham crackers directly onto the rack to completely cool and crisp.
Enjoy immediately, or store in the refrigerator in a resealable container for up to one week. (Makes 24 graham crackers.)
Toast the marshmallows
To broil marshmallows, turn oven to broil. Arrange marshmallows on a baking sheet. About 6 inches from heat source, broil until the marshmallow tops are golden brown, about 45 seconds. Remove from oven, gently flip over marshmallows, and broil about 30 seconds more. Watch closely. Alternatively, toast marshmallows on metal skewers over a hot grill until desired brownness.
Assemble the s'mores
On each graham cracker, place a freshly-toasted marshmallow, one piece of chocolate, and a fig half. Then add a graham cracker, fork pricked side up, on top of each to form a s’mores sandwich. Enjoy immediately.