- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 ounces California Dried Figs, (8 to 12 figs), stems removed and sliced
- 1/2 large white onion, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 4 cups chopped kale leaves
- 2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon vinegar or fresh lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 shallot, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons mustard
- 1 anchovy, mashed (optional)
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Pinch each of fine sea salt, black pepper and red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup roasted almonds, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
Rinse the quinoa under running water. Combine the rinsed quinoa and the water in a medium pot. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, reduce the heat then cover and simmer for about 20 minutes, until the quinoa is tender and the water has been absorbed. Remove from heat.
Heat the olive oil in a broad skillet over medium heat. Add the sliced figs, the onion, and the garlic. Add the fennel seeds, black pepper, and salt. Sauté the until the onions and garlic are lightly cooked, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the kale and sauté to wilt the kale, about 3 more minutes. Remove from the heat. Allow to cool to room temperature.
Combine all of the vinaigrette ingredients in a mixing bowl and whip until emulsified and creamy.
Combine the cooked quinoa and the contents of the skillet to a mixing bowl. Add a few tablespoons of the vinaigrette and toss.
Distribute the salad between serving plates or bowls. Sprinkle the chopped nuts over the salad. Garnish with the grated parmesan. Serve the extra vinaigrette on the side.