- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large scallion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon + 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds, divided
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 2 teaspoons Korean chili paste (gochujang)
- 1 teaspoon Korean chili powder (gochugaru)
- 12 California Fresh Figs
In small bowl, stir together garlic, scallion, sugar, fish sauce, 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, ginger, chili paste and chili powder.
On medium plate, arrange figs with points facing up. Slice Xs into tops without cutting all the way through. Gently open figs to resemble flowers.
Spoon chili mixture evenly into and over figs. Chill in refrigerator for 10 to 15 minutes to marinate. Transfer to serving platter. Garnish with remaining sesame seeds.
If unavailable, substitute Korean gochugaru with chipotle powder, cayenne pepper or paprika.